Best VPS Hosting Providers (2020)
VPS, a type of Internet service, short for dedicated private server. VPS service is amidst the most optimum web hosting solutions one can find. It is highly performing and more secure than shared.
Who needs it? Mainly, website owners that have increased the number of visitors and now require more resources to keep the site on. In particular, they may require more storage, uptime close to 100% and a truly unlimited bandwidth. Good VPS plans can satisfy all those requirements.
Unlike your previous shared plan, virtual server is a storage locale devoted to your site only, even though the physical server is still shared with other sites. This time, neighbors won’t bother you because, as mentioned, the virtual environment you get is entirely separated and alloted to you solely.
We’ll regard the specs of VPS hosting services later in the article in a greater detail. Let’s jump right into naming the websites where to look for the best VPS hosting in support of your business.
We at eWeb personally test services that we recommend to our readers. As you will notice, our ratings differ depending on the type of hosting the companies provide. We recommend the 5 leader VPS providers that exceed at granting the best VPS for business sites.
The 5 Best VPS Hosting
Eweb.net is a free online resource that offers valuable content and comparison services to users. To keep this resource 100% free for users, we receive advertising compensation from the hosts listed on this page. Along with key review factors, this compensation may impact how and where hosts appear on the page (including, for example, the order in which they appear). Eweb.com does not include listings for all web hosts.
What is a VPS Server?
There are two kinds of people on the market: those that buy based on what others say about the product and those who rely on their own independent judgement. The second group is much more demanding and, not infrequently, knowledgeable. We assume those of our readers who keep reading, having already found out what brands and companies are the leaders today, want to make a weighted choice based on their own judgement.
Disclaimer: anyone who deals with web hosting will require at least basic knowledge at some point in time.
Now, let’s find out what VPS services are and who are they for.
- VPS is next-best solution for websites that passed the traffic baseline and now require more resources for smooth performance and cannot get by with the cheapest versions, shared servers.
- It is for sites and businesses that cannot afford any downtimes due to “bad neighbor effect.”
- The best VPS service can grant that and more due to the great versatility of this hosting type. For once, you should not be afraid that your site will outgrow the plan and you will have to bring it back to life by upgrading to a new plan all of a sudden, with the site losing visitors and potential customers while you doing it.
For easy understanding one can think of VPS server as a physical server divided in parts. The division concerns RAM, storage and other resources that are proportionally given to server dwellers. Let’s single out some of the features of such servers.
VPS Hosting Features
- Private and separated disk space.
- Greater security and safety of files and data.
- Moderate pricing.
- Customization possibilities.
To those users who move from shared to VPS, the analogy with hostel room and a separate rented apartment would sound conceivable. You site can finally take a breath of fresh air without being constantly punched by other websites.
Choosing VPS Hosting: Question Checklist
To find the right VPS hosting provider requires time and effort, especially for users who plan to do everything on their own. For some, the research will start with asking more knowledgeable friends that have websites, while others will turn to VPS hosting reviews for expert opinions.
Probably, you haven’t expected to be dealing with such technical stuff when imaging your brand new blog. Now you have to make a decision on what hosting brand to trust your site to and what criteria to take as a benchmark. It might not be easy because it seems like they all offer the same thing at slightly different prices, no wonder one can get lost!
The items that are usually the same across different VPS hosters:
- Unlimited bandwidth – usually, providers take into account the maximum required bandwidth across the sites they service and add a bit more on top. In reality, everything has a limit.
- 99.99% uptime – all providers state this figure yet not all are genuinely capable of perform on this level. The obstacles may be numerous, starting with scheduled reboots or updates and ending with, frankly speaking, the most inexplicable occurrences. One need some experience and tools to check whether your site is on 99.99% of time and it is quite burdensome. The solution is to look for some VPS reviews of users on the Internet.
- Discounts – are always there. Take your time and don’t worry they will be over before you decide.
Each time you come across promises of unlimited/discount/promo, open T&Cs to check what it really is. Very often the other minor conditions are hidden behind loud banners that may work in your favor. We believe, the bulletproof way to differentiate between average and top VPS providers is by asking the following questions:
- Is this website a real hosting company or just a reseller?
- Is the package price commensurate with average market price for such services?
- What are the package upgrade possibilities?
- Is there a free trial and/or money-back guarantee?
- What are the claimed disk space & bandwidth?
There are the preliminary characteristics that can allow you to consider each particular VPS hosting service that meets these norms.
Some users may wonder, “Why do I need to change my hosting plan, anyway?” Well, you don’t if your website works find with the current host. Those users who have firmly decided to update, probably should consider some of the undeniable advantages of VPS host service.
What are the Advantages of VPS
As the next-to-follow stage in managing one’s website, this hosting type cannot go without benefits. For starters the resources it provides may be enough for your site’s lifetime – not many reach the number of daily visitors of Facebook or Youtube.
- No sharing of space and resources with other websites.
- Higher page load speed.
- Application of new cloud technology.
- Not as expensive as dedicated.
- Increased reliability.
- Guarantees site’s uptime during traffic surges.
- Better privacy and security.
- Root access is granted.
Some Handicaps of VPS Hosting
- More expensive than shared hosting;
- Unmanaged plans require technical knowledge to manage;
- Managed plans generally presuppose great involvement of third parties.
VPS Hosting OS
The dominant majority of best VPS hosting providers offer Linux-based servers. There are lots of reasons for that, the main ones are open-source website building programs like Joomla, Drupal, and WordPress, and customization possibilities. Windows servers are far more overpriced because of the licensing fees that one has to pay in lump sum or regularly.
Linux vs Windows
|Lots of popular free open-source software compatible.
||Requires to pay licensing fees.
|A cheap alternative.
||An expensive alternative.
|More suitable to small businesses.
||More suited to large corporate websites/projects.
|Security measures can be enhanced manually.
||Largely picked when there’s a need to run Windows-specific applications.
All experts, however, agree on the thought that Linux will definitely help one to save a bucks or two. If you’ve decided in the favor of Windows still, the best windows VPS is not cheap and can be bought from reputable VPS hosts. If you aren’t ready to shell out on hosting, we suggest you keeping it within the budget and go with Linux.
Virtual Hosting vs. Cloud Hosting
Not once Internet users got confused over the cloud/VPS distinction. Many provider do not regard them as separate, placing under the same category or characterizing their VPS plans as powered by modern cloud technology. The difference, however, does remain.
A virtual server is a private space that you rent on an actual physical server. Clouds work in a different way. In order to deliver a cloud server to one user, resources from a number of servers are utilized. It can be illustrated as a cluster of servers each one giving a part of its resources to power a cloud.
Clouds have created a hype in the hosting word since they manage to combine the best features of vps and dedicated servers. The main question is in regards of security since all the website’s files and databases are kept in the virtual storage and, thus, are more vulnerable to hacker attacks and malware.
On the bright side, cloud hosting plans are really cheap – almost like shared ones. Another advantage that a user can be charged as per used resources amounts. At the same time, the control is limited as are the options for customization.
Managed vs Unmanaged VPS
When starting with VPS, many users don’t know what kind of VPS provider they need. Managed and unmanaged plans are both widely offered by hosting websites. The basic difference is in the amount of work that you want to be done for you. Plan on concentrating on your business and nothing else? Then, managed type is definitely the way to go. Feel like you need and can handle more control? Then, saving some money and buying a managed plan would be a better solution.
But what is different exactly? Let’s see.
- takes care of the hardware and updates (that is a must)
- provides stable connectivity
- conducts regular testing and problem-solving
That’s about it. As you may see, the services are strictly limited. Even though you still have access to support, it is not as available as for “managed” customers.
- account setup
- website migration
- virus scanning and backups
- around-the-clock support
- server monitoring and updates.
As demonstrated, there’s a much greater variety of services that you can receive with a managed package. At the same time, you should build on your needs. There is always a possibility to switch, anyway. In the majority of cases, the switch is fast and easy since it is done within the same provider and no transfers of files are needed.
VPS Hosting Price Comparison
The starting price of a cPanel VPS hosting is $20. More expensive ones may start at $30, $40, and even $60 sometimes. Very often, however, the price is determined by the notorious brand of the provider and not by amounts and quality of resources offered. You may ask, what about the free services that one can see advertised here and there?
It does not take much guessing to conclude those are fake. By agreeing to accept hosting services for free, you risk with your site’s reputation and, what is worth, can even lose your site altogether. The untrustworthy providers can appropriate your website, leaving you with no means to prove them wrong.
Any website from the top ten VPS list will provide you with high quality services at reasonable price. For example, the cheapest offer is $20 plan from Inmotion. While paying cheap, you get plentiful resources for smooth functioning of your website.